Pages

Saturday 23 July 2011

Respect... but do both sides play fairly?

Something which is constantly drummed into us by professionals is to have our horse's respect. If he barges- it's disrespect. If he stomps, it's disrespect, if he bites, it's disrespect.

I had an incident the other day where I caused my horse to get very cross with me and she reared up on me in protest. It was scary and I said 'No' but it wasn't until afterward that I thought what did the no achieve but WHY did she rear. Well thanks to some fantastic advice it became clear her rear was through her anger with me and she was simply telling me to be a little clearer and more consistent. It's made me think now about consistency and frustration and linked into these behaviours which so many of us call 'disrespect' and being rude. It strikes me though, the lack of education which horses are exposed to, everyone seems to assume horses know the rules and if they don't 'are reminded' but how many of us spend time on these crucial rules; if we put them in place, and we get them usually, should we punish on the one day they may forget the rules or tell us we're doing something wrong? No, we shouldn't. I don't think it's fair to reprimand them for it; instead we should be bettering ourselves and being self-critical; instead of blaming our other equine half. For example, I'm sick and tired of the prejudice that each breed suffers; ''Oh he's naughty because he's a stubborn cob. He bolts because he's a TB/Arab'' I can't help but think, STOP MAKING EXCUSES! We make so many excuses to push the blame away from us and it's not fair and it's not right. If your horse refuses a jump; don't smack him, perhaps consider you've unbalanced him? Or perhaps he doesn't want to jump?

I feel we are told we have to instill respect into our horses, well all animals in general- horses are strong and yes dangerous, but they don't want to hurt us, unless scared of course; they respond on instinct and they are horses at the end of the day; they need to express themselves, instead of suppressing them with straps and gadgets. We talk very much on them respecting us; but do we respect them? Do we respect their right to an opinion- the moment they tell us they aren't happy through an evasion, they will get strapped up, ignored or told off; we usually excuse ourselves from it too... oh he's had all the checks... must be being naughty. Or your instructor says it's not you... well okay I'm going to be naughty here and say 90% of instructors don't even know what they are looking at, just regurgitating the letters of the arena and some sequences to ride... hardly anything special, are they? Or they are blinded by their own ignorance and cease to see the error of the rider.


So I've got a right bee in my bonnet over this and think this subject shouldn't be taken lightly. I think it's about time we start showing them some respect; it's like some horses don't want to jump really; so stop making them? They don't like it, so stop doing it. Just as you wouldn't want to do a certain thing, nor do our horses; it's not the bee all and end all of life. Start understanding his feelings and life from his perspective. How would you feel, having someone get on your back, tell you do these things and then demand your respect; yet fail to show you some in return?

No comments:

Post a Comment